Here are 10 things that turn 20 in 2017.
- ‘Titanic’ – Best Picture Oscar winner and still the second-highest-grossing film of all time
2. ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ – Sarah Michelle Gellar staked her first blood-sucker on March 10, 1997.
3. ‘Backstreet Boys’ – Their North American debut album was actually a compilation of songs from their first and second international albums. They are on the road again as we speak and have a hit on Hot Country 1035 with Florida Georgia Line with “God, Your Mama and Me.”
4. ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ – Though the North American version of J.K. Rowling’s first Harry Potter book — which changed the “Philosopher’s Stone” to the “Sorcerer’s Stone” — didn’t hit shelves until 1998, British readers enrolled at Hogwarts in June 1997.
5. ‘Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion’ – Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino road-tripped to Sagebrush High to show Billy Christianson what he was missing in this riotous comedy.
6. ‘Good Will Hunting’ – Matt Damon and Ben Affleck won their first Oscar (for best screenplay) for this drama about an M.I.T. janitor who just happens to be math genius. It also earned Robin Williams his first and only Oscar for Best Actor in a Supporting Role.
7. ‘South Park’ – Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s animated, irreverent comedy — which has won five Emmys to date — premiered on Comedy Central on August 13, 1997. (And TV was never the same…)
8. ‘I Know What You Did Last Summer’ – Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe and Freddie Prinze Jr. ran from a hook-wielding killer with an ax to grind in this cult-favorite slasher flick. (Freddie! Where ya been??)
9. ‘Men in Black’ – Will Smith made fighting aliens look good when he starred alongside Tommy Lee Jones in this sci-fi comedy.
10. ‘98 Degrees’ – Nick and Drew Lachey, Jeff Timmons and Justin Jeffre joined the boy band scene in July 1997, when they released their self-titled debut, which featured the gem “Invisible Man.”
(Also turning 20 in 2017: My car, my newest suit, and that thing in the back of the fridge, just don’t touch it… 🙂
Pic via: www.imdb.com